Refund & Make-up Policy
Swim Lesson Tips
Before Your Lesson
Classes fill quickly. Register online or call our District Office at 805-482-1996 ext. 101, 102 or 103.
The Pleasant Valley Aquatic Center offers group and private swim lessons for all ages, as well as adult, and parent and child lessons. Our goal is to have all community members be water safe. Games, songs, and activities are incorporated into children’s lessons for a fun and interactive learning environment.
Swim lesson levels are progressive so participants can build on skills learned in previous levels. Our lesson levels begin with Parent and Child classes followed by a Pre-school Aquatic Class and finally, the six level Learn to Swim program. Class sizes range from 3-7 participants, depending on the level. Please review the lesson level descriptions to help place your child in the most appropriate level. If you have questions concerning the different levels and the proper placement of your child please call the Aquatic Center at 805-987-8198.
Please see our online schedule of classes for exact times and dates of classes.
Summer Season, June through August
During the summer months, the Aquatic Center offers morning and evening weekday lessons, and Saturday morning lessons. Weekday group lessons run Monday through Thursday in two week sessions, for a total of 8 classes per session. All Saturday lessons run for 8 Saturdays. Classes are 25 minutes long except Adult Lessons which are 45 minutes in length.
Off Season, September through May
For the remainder of the year, only evening weekday lessons and Saturday morning lessons are offered. All weekday evening lessons are Monday through Wednesday in two week sessions, for a total of 6 classes. Saturday lessons run for 8 Saturdays. Classes are 25 minutes long except Adult lessons which are 45 minutes in length.
Please plan your schedule carefully in order to keep transfers and refunds to a minimum. If a refund or transfer is needed, requests must be made one week prior to the start date of the class. This allows us time to find a replacement for your space in the class, complete the necessary paperwork and time to notify the instructor. Refunds will not be granted after the class begins and failure to attend a class or “no shows” will not be granted a refund, a pro-rated rate, transfer or make-up class/lesson. Refunds and transfers will be charged $10.
We do understand that on a rare occasion, you may miss a lesson do to uncontrollable circumstances and would like to reschedule a class. We will make every effort to work with you to reschedule this particular lesson. Due to the popularity of our lesson program, instructor availability and pool space, we may not be able to schedule a make-up lesson for you or your child.
To request a refund or transfer contact the District Office by calling 805-482-1996 x 100, 102, or 103.
The Pleasant Valley Aquatic Center Swim Lesson Program offers classes for every level of swim ability. The levels are progressive so children can build on skills learned in the previous level.
Please remember when registering your child for swim lessons that it is not uncommon for children to repeat a level several times. If your child has taken swim lessons before, but it has been more than three months since they last took a lesson, we suggest you enroll your child in the last level they were in--regardless of whether they passed or not. Also, when in doubt as to which level to enroll in, it is best to choose the lower level so as to build your child’s confidence in the water.
Please remember the age minimums are a suggested guideline. Children learn to swim at their own pace. Should you need to enroll your child in a level where he or she is younger than the age minimum, please call the District Office at 805-482-1996, or register in person.
Please use the following guidelines to help you choose a level that is right for your child. Should you have further questions or concerns, please call the Aquatic Center at 805-987-8198.
- If your child is under 3 years of age, he or she must enroll in a Parent and Child Class.
- If your child is three years of age and has no previous water experience, is timid of the water, or has never been in a group class without a parent, then he or she should be enrolled in the Preschool Aquatic level. This class is taught primarily on the stairs and wall.
- If your child is three years of age or older, has limited water experience, enjoys being in the water, and does not mind being in a class without a parent, then he or she should be enrolled in Level 1. This class is taught primarily on the stairs with lots of assisted practice in the 3 ½ ft. depth.
- If your child is four years or older, is comfortable in the water, can submerge their face in the water, and/or has passed Level 1, then he or she should be enrolled in Level 2. This class is taught primarily in 3 ½ ft – 4 ½ ft water.
- If your child is five years or older, is confident in the water, able to swim five body lengths of front and back crawl, can float unassisted, and/or has passed Level 2, then he or she should be enrolled in Level 3. This class is primarily taught in water between 5 ft and 10 ½ ft.
- If your child is six years or older, can swim 15 yards of front and back crawl and elementary backstroke, can tread water for 30 seconds, can breathe to the side while swimming front crawl, can perform sitting and kneeling dives, and/or has passed Level 3, then he or she should be enrolled in Level 4. This class is taught in water up to 12 ft. deep.
- If your child is six years or older, can swim 15-25 yards of front crawl, back crawl, breast stroke, sidestroke, and elementary backstroke, can perform open turns for front and back crawl, can tread water for up to two minutes, can perform a stride and standing dive, and/or has passed Level 4, then he or she should be enrolled in Level 5. This class swims the entire length of the pool and is primarily taught in water 12 ft. deep.
- If your child is seven years or older, can swim 25-50 yards of front crawl, back crawl, breast stroke, butterfly, sidestroke, and elementary backstroke, can perform a flip turn while swimming front and back crawl, can tread water for up to three minutes, can perform a shallow angle dive, and/or has passed Level 5, then he or she should be enrolled in Level 6. This class swims the entire length of the pool and is primarily taught in water 12 ft. deep.
- If your child is 14 years or older and is interested in swim lessons we offer Adult Swim Lessons and Private Lessons. These classes begin in the shallow end and progress to deeper water as the class advances.
- If your child has passed Level 6, or is too advanced for swim lessons, but would like to improve his or her strokes, we suggest he or she tryout for the Pleasant Valley Swim Team.
- Arrive on time – The first day of lessons is usually a big day for your child, please arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the start of your class.
- No eating or drinking - Please do not allow your child to eat or drink at least 30 minutes prior to swimming.
- Accidents happen - Please ensure your child uses the restroom a few minutes prior to class. Fecal accidents will result in a pool closure.
- Keep us healthy - If your child has been sick with diarrhea or vomiting within 72 hours please refrain from bringing them to class. Fecal accidents will result in a pool closure.
- We like clean kids – Please shower with warm soapy water prior to swimming, removing all lotions, shampoo, conditioner, etc. The pool facility provides warm showers and soap for your convenience.
- Keep your skin healthy – Please shower after your swim in the pool. Though you will smell good and feel clean, chlorine can be drying to some skin types. We recommend you shower with warm soapy water and moisturize after your swim.
- Secure your child’s bottom – Yep, that’s right, poop in the pool = pool closure. Therefore, all children enrolled in the parent/child classes must wear a swim diaper plus a plastic or vinyl swim brief over the swimming diaper. If you are unsure of your child’s bathroom schedule, please be safe and use the necessary precautions so we don’t experience a pool closure. The swim brief must have full elastic around the waist and legs. A re-useable swim brief can be purchased at the aquatic center for $10.